Saturday 18 October 2008

Beginnings

For the past few years, I feel as though I've been on a journey, a voyage of discovery which has ultimately led me up to the point where I find myself now.

What I'm feeling at the moment is a sense of homecoming. I've only been in Falmouth for two weeks, since I started my MA in Professional Writing, but every day I am struck by the realisation that this is where I'm meant to be. Right here, right now, I am currently doing exactly what I need to be. Paradoxically, it's almost as if I had to come home in order to commence what may be my most ambitious journey yet.

Spending time in New Zealand and Australia last year in the company of other travellers made me realise the value of living in the moment. It's something too easily forgotten in the rush of everyday life; work, friends, family and process of just living takes over. All too often, we forget how to live in the moment, continually reminiscing about halcyon days or looking forward to the future.

Meeting, and working with other fledgling writers has been an incredible experience. There's an almost electric atmosphere here; the air is literally crackling with creative energy. My now is filled with a kind of slighly apprehensive excitement which is shared by most of the people around me. We're all in the same boat, settling sail on a journey into uncharted waters. I have no idea where I will end up; the only thing I know for certain is that it's going to be one hell of an adventure.

No comments: