Thursday 23 October 2008

Fiona is currently unavailable...

Earlier this evening I attempted to add today's musings to my blog, I got the message Blogger is currently unavailable. Strong language followed as I refreshed my browser window, only to be greeted by the same frustrating message.

I want to write my blog, and I want to do it now!

We live in a society where instant gratification is the norm. We have become a society of petulant toddlers; if our desires aren't fulfilled at once then all hell breaks loose. As fond as I am of the internet and the convenience of my mobile phone, I can't help thinking that being in contact with the world 24/7 is not necessarily a good thing. Our lives become a blur as we rush from one thing to another, rarely taking the time to savour the moment, the 'now' of our existence.

Stop the world, I want to get off....

Spending a year doing an MA is an opportunity to concentrate on the things that really matter to me. I think I finally got to the stage where I realised that I couldn't just keep squeezing my dreams into the ever-shrinking amount of time I had to call my own, the time that wasn't taken up by work, family, friends, updating my Facebook account and all the other tedious minutiae of daily life. A few months ago, I faced a choice. 'Now or never' sounds a little dramatic, but I'd reached a point where it was put up or shut up. After the first day of the course, I knew I'd made the right decision.


No comments: