Monday 24 November 2008

Monday, continued.....

So I'm still on yesterday.....

Instead of doing the sensible thing and getting on with my scriptwriting assignment, I decided to head into Falmouth.

It was a beautiful, if cold day. I went for a walk on the beach and then had a coffee in the beach cafe overlooking the sea. I felt very 'writerly' as I got out my Moleskine and continued drafting some ideas for a story I've been working on recently. I'm not sure exactly what form it's going to take, but sometimes that's half the fun. I don't want to say too much about the story at this stage, only that it's about a girl who is gradually going blind, and her encounters with an angel. I'm pretty sure it's going to have a happy ending, although I haven't figured out exactly which direction to take it in yet.

Various people have commented on the fact that you can often get inspiration for writing just listening to other people's conversations. On the bus on the way home, I overheard the funniest conversation. I almost had to stuff my scarf in my mouth to hold the laughter back.

A group of undergraduates was sitting in in front of me. One was commenting on the other's recent essay about 'Youth in Asia.' She had written a 15 page essay on the topic, misunderstanding the word 'Euthanasia.' I kid you not.

She had no idea what euthanasia was, and expressed her surprise that everyone else did, wondering why the term had the word 'Asia' in it, when in fact, it actually had nothing to do with Asia! She went to say that she'd thought it was a little strange - after all, what about youth in other countries? Weren't they just as relevant?

You couldn't make it up......

No comments: