Monday 10 November 2008

Return of the blog

It's been a while since my last blog. There's been a lot happening this week, both in terms of actual events and stuff that's going on in my head.

The return of my teenage insomnia gives me way too much time to think, and that's never a good thing. The most frustrating thing is that I can't actually do anything productive with that time, but I can't turn my mind off. That's when doubt starts to creep in and I start stressing over all the the things on my list that still remain undone.

On Wednesday I went to see the fireworks with some of my housemates. I was slightly disappointed that there was no actual bonfire (Bonfire Night without the bonfire - something missing, perhaps?). The fireworks were really good though, although the choice of music was a little odd. Most of the songs they were playing were really popular in 1998 or thereabouts. As I reminisced about what I'd been doing back then in those halcyon days as an undergraduate, I noticed the slightly blank looks from some of my housemates. Then I realised they must have all only been about ten then.

I've spent most of the weekend at the film festival, volunteering and trying to catch some of the events while the opportunity was there. After working on numerous arts festivals previously, it was quite strange to see things from a volunteer's perspective. Generally it was pretty easy going; most of the other volunteers were good fun and I didn't really have to do anything more taxing than check tickets and make tea. Plus I got a cool t-shirt.

Probably my favourite event of the weekend was John Yorke's lecture about story structure, which was also attended by at least half of the people on my course. He was a dynamic speaker, and I could have quite happily listened to him talk for much longer.

I also went to see a silent film from the 1920s called Sunrise, which was accompanied live by Cornish band Wurlitzer. I'd never actually seen a silent film before, so I was intrigued to find out what it would be like. I found myself fascinated by the images on the screen combined with modern music. It was a slightly strange combination which really seemed to fit the mood and tone of the film.

Whatever else is on the list is just going to have to wait. I'm done for tonight.

No comments: